🎬 FINN ONLY INVITED HOPE
EXT. SMALL CITY DINER – LATE AFTERNOON
The golden evening sun reflects across the parking lot.
Cars slowly pull in and out.
A soft breeze moves through the trees surrounding the quiet diner.
FINN stands outside the entrance, checking the time on his phone. He looks excited but slightly nervous. He straightens his jacket and glances toward the road every few seconds.
A smile slowly appears on his face.
Hope is finally here.
Cars slowly pull in and out.
A soft breeze moves through the trees surrounding the quiet diner.
FINN stands outside the entrance, checking the time on his phone. He looks excited but slightly nervous. He straightens his jacket and glances toward the road every few seconds.
A smile slowly appears on his face.
Hope is finally here.
From across the parking lot, HOPE walks toward him with a cheerful smile.
But she isn't alone.
Walking beside her is FAITH, smiling just as brightly.
Finn's smile immediately fades.
But she isn't alone.
Walking beside her is FAITH, smiling just as brightly.
Finn's smile immediately fades.
HOPE
Hi, Finn!
Sorry we're a few minutes late.
Sorry we're a few minutes late.
FAITH
Hi, Finn.
It's nice to see you.
It's nice to see you.
FINN
Hi.
An uncomfortable silence settles between them.
HOPE
Is everything okay?
FINN
Hope...
Can I talk to you for a second?
Can I talk to you for a second?
EXT. DINER ENTRANCE – CONTINUOUS
HOPE
What's wrong?
FINN
I invited you.
Only you.
Only you.
HOPE
I know...
But I thought it would be nice if Faith came too.
But I thought it would be nice if Faith came too.
FINN
Hope...
I specifically asked you to have dinner with me.
Just the two of us.
I specifically asked you to have dinner with me.
Just the two of us.
HOPE
I didn't mean to upset you.
I just didn't want Faith to feel left out.
I just didn't want Faith to feel left out.
FINN
This wasn't about leaving anyone out.
I wanted to spend time with you.
Just you.
I wanted to spend time with you.
Just you.
Hope lowers her eyes. She begins to understand.
Faith watches them from a distance. She quietly looks away, not wanting to make things worse.
HOPE
I'm sorry.
I honestly thought you'd be happy.
I honestly thought you'd be happy.
FINN
When someone invites you personally...
It's usually because they want private time together.
It's usually because they want private time together.
HOPE
You're right.
I should've asked first.
I should've asked first.
FINN
Instead...
You made the decision without asking me.
You made the decision without asking me.
A long silence hangs between them.
HOPE
I wasn't trying to disrespect you.
Faith and I do almost everything together.
It's become a habit.
Faith and I do almost everything together.
It's become a habit.
FINN
I understand that.
But every friendship...
Every relationship...
Needs moments where two people can simply talk.
But every friendship...
Every relationship...
Needs moments where two people can simply talk.
FAITH
Hope...
Is everything okay?
Is everything okay?
HOPE
Finn invited only me.
I shouldn't have brought you without asking.
I shouldn't have brought you without asking.
FAITH
Oh...
I didn't know that.
If I had known...
I never would've come.
I didn't know that.
If I had known...
I never would've come.
FINN
Thank you for understanding.
FAITH
No problem.
You two should enjoy your dinner.
I'll head back home.
You two should enjoy your dinner.
I'll head back home.
HOPE
No...
I don't want you leaving because of me.
I don't want you leaving because of me.
FAITH
It's okay.
Sometimes people need one-on-one conversations.
There's nothing wrong with that.
Sometimes people need one-on-one conversations.
There's nothing wrong with that.
Faith hugs Hope and walks toward the parking lot.
FINN
I shouldn't have sounded so angry.
HOPE
No.
You had every right to tell me how you felt.
You had every right to tell me how you felt.
FINN
Thank you for understanding.
HOPE
Next time...
I'll ask first.
I'll ask first.
INT. DINER – MOMENTS LATER
The warm lights inside create a peaceful atmosphere.
A waitress leads Finn and Hope to a quiet booth near the window.
A waitress leads Finn and Hope to a quiet booth near the window.
FINN
Well...
That wasn't exactly how I imagined tonight starting.
That wasn't exactly how I imagined tonight starting.
HOPE
Definitely not.
FINN
Can we start over?
HOPE
I'd like that.
They shake hands and laugh.
They order dinner and spend the evening talking about school, family, dreams, and future plans.
OUTSIDE THE DINER
FAITH
Sometimes...
The best thing you can do for someone...
Is give them the space they need.
The best thing you can do for someone...
Is give them the space they need.
INT. DINER – NIGHT
HOPE
Thank you for inviting me.
I'm glad we talked honestly.
I'm glad we talked honestly.
FINN
Me too.
Honesty keeps friendships strong.
Honesty keeps friendships strong.
HOPE
And next time...
I'll always ask before inviting someone else.
I'll always ask before inviting someone else.
FINN
That's all I wanted.
FADE OUT

0 Comments