THE FATHER SHE NEVER KNEW
The Conversation Begins
The modern family home was unusually quiet that afternoon. Soft daylight entered through the large windows, spreading across the living room and creating a peaceful atmosphere that felt almost strange compared with the conversation that was about to take place.
Duchess stood across from Destiny, watching her carefully. She had been thinking about this conversation since yesterday. She knew there was no perfect way to say what she needed to say. Destiny carried years of unanswered questions, disappointment, and emotional distance. Duchess understood that one sentence could reopen memories Destiny had spent years trying to leave behind.
Still, Duchess believed Destiny deserved to know the truth.
“Destiny, I need to tell you something. Yesterday, I met your father.”
Destiny immediately looked at her. For a moment, she said nothing. Her expression changed slightly, as though she was trying to understand why Duchess had suddenly brought that name into the room.
“Which Dad?”
Destiny slowly folded her arms. A small, almost sarcastic smile appeared on her face. It was not a happy smile. It was the kind of expression someone makes when they hear something they never expected to hear and cannot believe the subject has suddenly returned to their life.
“Which dad? I don't know anyone. Who else is that?”
Duchess could see the wall Destiny had immediately built around herself. Destiny's shoulders became tense, and her eyes moved away. Her body language made one thing clear: she did not want to discuss this man.
Duchess remained calm. She did not raise her voice or pressure Destiny. Instead, she took a breath and carefully explained what had happened.
“I know you don't want to hear about him. But I need you to understand why I'm telling you. Your father asked about you.”
Destiny's expression became colder.
The Number He Wanted
Duchess explained that Destiny's father had asked for her phone number. But Duchess had refused to give it to him without first talking to Destiny.
“He asked me for your number,” Duchess said. “I didn't give it to him.”
Destiny looked surprised for the first time.
“You didn't?”
Duchess shook her head.
“No. I took his number instead. I wanted you to decide what happens next. If you want to speak to him, you can. If you don't, that's your decision.”
Destiny looked toward the floor. The situation had suddenly become real. This was no longer simply a story about a father who had disappeared from her childhood. There was now a phone number, a possibility, and a person somewhere waiting for an answer.
Yet Destiny did not look relieved. She looked frightened by the possibility of opening a door she had kept closed for years.
A Father Who Wasn't There
Duchess gently reminded Destiny that whatever had happened between the adults in the past, Destiny's father remained her biological father.
“My relationship with him is not what it used to be,” Duchess explained. “Whatever happened between us is our history. But that doesn't change the fact that he is your father.”
Destiny's eyes became watery, but she tried to hide it. She turned away from Duchess.
“That's easy for you to say.”
Duchess remained silent.
“You weren't the little girl waiting for him,” Destiny continued. “You weren't the one wondering why he never showed up.”
Her voice began to shake.
Destiny had spent years convincing herself that she did not care. She had learned how to answer questions without showing emotion. She had learned how to change the subject whenever someone mentioned her father. She had convinced herself that not having him was simply part of her life.
But now that Duchess had brought him back into the conversation, all those carefully buried feelings were beginning to rise again.
The Childhood She Lost
Destiny finally stopped pretending that the subject did not hurt.
“When I was little, he wasn't there.”
Duchess listened without interrupting.
“He didn't look after me. He didn't watch me grow up. He wasn't there for the moments when I needed a father. I had to grow up without him.”
Tears gathered in Destiny's eyes. She wiped them away quickly, almost embarrassed that Duchess could see how deeply the memories affected her.
“So now,” she continued, “after all these years, I'm supposed to just pick up the phone and act like everything is okay?”
Duchess shook her head.
“No. I'm not asking you to pretend everything is okay.”
Destiny looked directly at her.
“Then what are you asking me to do?”
Duchess Understands
Duchess stepped slightly closer, but she gave Destiny enough space to breathe.
“I'm asking you to give yourself the chance to decide what you really want. Not what he wants. Not what I want. What you want.”
Destiny remained quiet.
Duchess continued carefully.
“You don't have to forgive him today. You don't have to forget your childhood. You don't even have to suddenly call him Dad. But maybe you should hear what he has to say.”
Destiny looked conflicted.
Duchess knew she could not erase Destiny's childhood. She could not magically repair years of absence. She could not promise that Destiny's father would suddenly become the person Destiny had needed when she was young.
All Duchess could offer was a possibility: one conversation.
Sometimes, she thought, a first conversation did not have to fix the past. Sometimes it simply had to acknowledge that the past existed.
Destiny's Fear
Destiny sat down, staring at her hands.
“What if he disappoints me again?”
The question was quieter than everything she had said before.
Duchess immediately understood that this was the real fear behind Destiny's anger.
“Then you will know that you gave yourself a chance to find out,” Duchess answered.
Destiny looked up.
“And what if I actually start caring?”
Duchess paused before answering.
“Then you will deal with those feelings one step at a time. You don't have to decide the entire future in one phone call.”
That answer made Destiny think. For years, she had imagined meeting her father as something enormous, almost impossible. She had believed that one meeting would somehow force her to forgive him, accept him, or forget everything that had happened.
But Duchess was offering another way: simply talk.
The Decision
Several long seconds passed between them.
Destiny finally wiped the remaining tears from her face. She still looked uncertain, but the anger in her expression had softened.
“You really think I should talk to him?”
“I think you should make the decision for yourself,” Duchess replied. “And if you decide to talk to him, I'll be here.”
Destiny looked toward the phone number Duchess had written down.
She stared at it as though the few digits represented an entire childhood she had never been able to understand.
Her hand slowly moved toward the paper.
She did not pick it up immediately.
Then, finally, she took it.
“Okay.”
Duchess waited.
“I'll talk to him.”
A Small Hope
Duchess smiled softly.
It was not a smile of victory. She knew this was not a simple happy ending. Destiny was still carrying years of pain, and one phone call could not erase that history.
But something had changed.
Destiny was no longer completely refusing the possibility of knowing her father. She was willing to hear him.
Destiny looked nervous.
“I don't know what I'm going to say.”
“You don't have to know yet,” Duchess said. “Just be honest.”
Destiny nodded slowly.
Her emotions remained complicated. There was sadness because of the years she could never get back. There was anger because she had needed her father when she was young. There was curiosity because she wanted to know why he had been absent. And somewhere beneath all of that was a tiny, carefully protected sense of hope.
Maybe this conversation would change nothing.
Or maybe it would change everything.
The Door Opens
Duchess watched Destiny hold the phone number in her hand.
She knew the hardest part had not happened yet. Destiny still had to decide whether she would actually make the call. Her father still had to explain where he had been. There were questions that could not be answered in one conversation.
And there was no guarantee that the reunion would be easy.
But for the first time, Destiny had allowed herself to consider that her father's absence did not have to define the rest of her life.
Duchess gave her one final reassuring look.
“Whatever happens next, you wo

0 Comments